As scientific and technological advances continue to improve manufacturing processes, it is important to remember that personal protective equipment (PPE) and safety training need to match the speed of these exciting developments. Although many new tools and methods have been introduced into the manufacturing industry over the past several years, human employees continue to be the most valuable resources on hand – and workers need to be safe in day to day operations.
When selecting a PPE manufacturer, it is critical to prioritize workplace safety above all else. Along with that, an ideal producer of protective equipment should also be at the forefront of product innovation.
The Benefits of Innovation
There are myriad advantages to selecting a provider that prioritizes innovation in the development and fabrication of PPE. Here are just a few:
- Whether you innovate or not, your competitors certainly will. If you stay on the cutting edge of technology with the products and equipment you purchase for your operation, you will keep your company viable in a fierce market – and potentially even push ahead of the competition.
- The safety of your employees should be the foundation of your business plan. You need to make it apparent to your employees that their safety is your number one priority. Investing in innovative personal protective equipment demonstrates just that.
- As employees become more comfortable and confident in their safety in the workplace, productivity will increase and turnover will decrease.
- Staying up to date on the latest developments in PPE technology will reduce on the job injuries, and also decrease insurance rates.
There are many benefits to PPE product innovation, both for your workers and for your company as a whole.
Advancements in PPE
Safety is always in demand. As such, PPE manufacturers strive to improve their products so that workers in hazardous fields can mitigate the various dangers of their operations. The following are just a sampling of advancements that have been made over the past several years:
- Comfort, flexibility, and productivity
Over the years, manufacturers have worked to make jumpsuits and other PPE more comfortable and less restrictive. Smarter designs now account for the comfort of workers and allow greater freedom of movement, enabling employees to be at their most productive throughout the day.
At many companies, high-visibility clothing for most workers consists of a loose-fitting neon safety vest. However, loose clothing is not always appropriate in manufacturing settings. The risk of getting tangled or caught in live equipment is a cause for concern. Because of this, many manufacturers have incorporated high-visibility colors into their designs for overalls, T-shirts, jumpsuits, and other PPE products.
- Improved eye protection
Eye protection must do more than ward off projectiles. New eye protection solutions create a seal made of foam around the eyeglass frames to prevent particles of dust or other contaminants from getting near the eyes. It is also important that eye protection equipment does not interfere with the movements or vision of the wearer. For instance, anti-fog technology is a huge advantage for workers who need a clear field of vision.
How to Implement Innovation into Your Application
There are four basic ways that you can begin to implement PPE product innovation into your company’s day to day operations. These are:
- Examine how your company sources PPE. If the quality of your PPE equipment is sub-par, then a change of materials or a change of vendors should be seriously considered.
- Closely inspecting your current safety processes can yield insights into flaws and inefficiencies in the system. As you audit safety procedures, you can look for ways to streamline safety methods, cut costs, and increase production speed.
- Leadership must take an active, ongoing interest in introducing and overseeing safety initiatives. All too often companies become set in their ways when it comes to safety processes. However, management is responsible for staying informed on the latest advances in safety technology and methodology, and subsequently implementing new processes into daily operations.
- New technology allows companies to overhaul their current manufacturing processes, and change over to newer, safer, and more efficient systems.
Working with Paulson
At Paulson Manufacturing, we offer a wide range of advantages to customers seeking a PPE provider. These include:
- In-house manufacturing and testing
- Production/testing all conducted in North America
- Custom design and engineering solutions that incorporate client’s brand and performance requirements
- All products designed to exceed NFPA e70 compliance standards for PPE
For more information about selecting PPE that provides optimal protection and performance, contact us or give us a call at 847-855-9200. For more information on sourcing a manufacturer for your PPE solutions, download our free eBook, “6 Factors to Consider When Choosing an Optimal PPE Manufacturer.”